[GNC] find and replace

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Sat Jan 30 15:40:03 EST 2021

Hi,

On Sat, January 30, 2021 2:13 pm, gnu Gord wrote:
> Is it possible to find a specific split transaction based on the memo
> field
> and assign the account to transfer for that split item?

No, there is no way to en-masse manipulate multiple transactions.  The
ONLY en-masse thing you can do is reassign all transaction from one
account to another account.  For example, you could move ALL transactions
from "Imbalance-USD" into, e.g. Expenses:Groceries, by deleting the
Imbalance-USD account and telling GnuCash to target.  But if you're
looking to reassign a subset of transactions, then no, there is no way to
do that.

> Let me explain. I'm new to GnuCash and have just imported my Quicken data
> QIF file but it appears that some transactions within splits have no
> transfer account assigned. It appears that I did not have a category
> assigned to them in Quicken. However, most seem to have the same memo
> text.
> There are really too many to do manually so some sort of find/replace
> would
> be helpful. If it's not possible within GnuCash, can the XML file be
> edited
> directly?

Sounds like you might be better off starting over and re-importing the
QIF.  Fix the QIF file to assign a proper account target (or better yet,
map the Memo to the correct account during the QIF import).

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745