[GNC] pricehist: a tool to fetch historical prices

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Thu Jul 1 09:52:35 EDT 2021

Hi,

Just note that GnuCash (and more generally, the GnuCash team) does not
support modifications of the gnucash database outside of GnuCash.  Doing
so may break your data file, especially as it changes over time.  If
you're not using the GnuCash APIs to modify your data file, you "void the
warranty".  YMMV.

-derek

On Thu, July 1, 2021 9:45 am, Chris Berkhout wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've written a command-line tool to fetch daily historical prices. It
> currently supports 5 sources of data and will generate output in 4
> formats,
> including SQL for a GnuCash database.
>
> https://gitlab.com/chrisberkhout/pricehist
>
> Fetching prices and immediately applying them to a GnuCash database is
> done
> as in the following examples:
>
> pricehist fetch ecb EUR/USD -s 2021-06-25 -o gnucash-sql | sqlite3
> Accounts.gnucashpricehist fetch ecb EUR/USD -s 2021-06-25 -o
> gnucash-sql | mysql -u username -p -D databasenamepricehist fetch ecb
> EUR/USD -s 2021-06-25 -o gnucash-sql | psql -U username -d
> databasename -v ON_ERROR_STOP=1
>
> I discuss some details of the generated SQL in the source code:
>
> https://gitlab.com/chrisberkhout/pricehist/-/blob/master/src/pricehist/outputs/gnucashsql.py
>
> As far as I am aware GnuCash's built-in price fetching is for current
> prices only. The wiki documents wrapper scripts for the Finance::QuoteHist
> Perl module, and the Piecash library has a Commodity.update_prices method
> for fetching historical prices, but I hope that pricehist will make
> fetching historical prices easy for GnuCash users who don't want to write
> their own code for it.
>
> If pricehist might be useful for you please try it and let me know what
> you
> think. I'm still improving error handling and some other things but the
> main functionality is done.
>
> Cheers,
> Chris

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745