[GNC] So confused about Jobs

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Jul 5 19:18:06 EDT 2021

On Mon, 5 Jul 2021, Sabina Iseli-Otto wrote:

> I think I might be misunderstanding how jobs work. I’ve gone through the
> list archives and the help information on the website but I think I might
> be missing something super-basic — too used to my old way of doing things!

Sabina,

Jobs are assigned to customers/clients.

> I would like to assign the cost of materials to specific jobs: to track
> them, not necessarily to have them appear on invoices for customers.

That's do-able.

> I’m not sure if it matters, but so far, I have not been using GnuCash’s
> invoicing feature (making my own separately).

I run a professional services consultancy and I provide clients with letter
invoices so I don't use GnuCash's invoicing, either.

> I think I need to add job costs directly to invoices for specific
> customers, is that right?

If you want those job costs to be included on the invoice, yes.

> If I add those job costs to invoices, will those job costs show up in a
> place where I can reconcile them against my statements?

I don't know because I don't use the invoicing capabilities.

> Is there a better way to track individual job costs?

Not if you want to keep all costs and payments in one place.

Others with much more pertinent experience and knowledge will help you more.

Stay well,

Rich