[GNC] Accounting for GST in Australia

flywire flywire0 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 7 20:16:14 EDT 2021

I suspect GnuCash can't handle auto-populated Tax on a *cash accounting
system* invoice given the responses. Maybe the following workflow will
prompt something.

QuickBooks uses Accounts Payable/Receivable *except* being cash accounting
there is no posting Accounts Payable/Receivable or whatever. GnuCash
doesn't seem to support this tweak. I agree GST is less complex than some
of the international examples raised but these Invoices come from another
party and efficient data entry is important.

We use a clutz in QuickBooks, each Recipient Created Tax Invoice (RCTI) is
entered as a Sales Receipt and a Payment. Since I don't enter the data I
don't argue but it seems to make the best use of both forms. I have a
vague recollection of turning inventory on to use qty on a sales receipt
but other than that we don't manage inventory but find it useful.

Enter Invoice Splits:
* Item
* Description by lookup
* Qty
* Price/unit
* Tax by lookup
* Tax amount by lookup is verified
* Amount which can be entered GST inclusive or exclusive

Enter Payment Splits:
* Account
* Tax by lookup
* Amount (GST inclusive or exclusive)
* Tax amount by lookup is verified
* Memo optional
* Class (not supported in GnuCash) auto-populated

Data entry is pretty efficient but you miss out on the benefits of open
data.