[GNC] how to import a csv of transactions?

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 12 09:50:21 EDT 2021

Arman,

While CSV transaction imports are definitely supported in GnuCash, there
have been some bugs reported with the 'new' CSV importer.  There used to be
a fatal bug with the 'old' CSV importer that caused GnuCash to crash if the
incorrect date format was selected, and it may still be possible to see
that crash if you choose the wrong date format.  That is the reason that
there is a new process to save import settings including the base account
selection.  It is critical to do that import setup and save very carefully.

Additionally, when getting familiar with the import process it is very
possible to get results that you do not like so you can expect to fine tune
settings until you like the results.  With some financial institutions you
may even want to preprocess the CSV file before importing it.  Thus, start
with a disposable copy of your data file and work with small import files.
This especially includes the process of training the import matcher in the
final step of the import.  At that stage, when you can describe in detail
what you want to do, users here will step up to help.

Good luck.

On Mon, Jul 12, 2021 at 7:40 AM Geoff <cleanoutmyshed at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Arman
>
> Yes, this *definitely* works with v4.4 on Windows.  I haven't tried v4.6
> yet, but I'd be surprised if it was broken.
>
> See the fifth post in this thread which includes screenshots and a
> sample CSV file:
>

> http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/GNC-Tracking-cash-flows-with-balanced-transactions-td4721056.html
>
> Good luck!
>
> Geoff
> =====
>
> On 12/07/2021 10:01 pm, Arman Schwarz wrote:
> > I've tried on both 4.4 and 4.6 but it seems that importing csv
> transactions
> > is broken. Before I continue down this path, is csv importing an actually
> > supported feature or are the issues with it known? Normally I'd put more
> > effort into repro steps but I think it's so broken the devs hopefully
> > already know about it. Errors I encountered:
> >
> > - Anything more than 200 transactions results in a fatal exception when
> > selecting "GnuCash export format"
> > - Account name is ignored, meaning you have to manually link every
> account.
> >
> > I'm on windows.
> >
> > Are there any working alternatives for getting transactions out of one
> > gnucash file and into another?
> >
> > Sorry again for the lack of detail.
> >
> > Arman
> > -----