[GNC] piecharts/linecharts turned blank in reports after upgrade

Dong Lin c54e-gnucash at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 17 23:01:34 EDT 2021

I see two 3.11 release commits in maint.

3.11-4064c58cd bad
3.11-0fe9ba79e good

bisecting in this range pointed to 2c637a971.

bisecting in 63232f388..8024f44bc also singled out 2c637a971.

But it cannot be as it's just a version update.  Reverting it did not
produce a good run.

> [...]
> and 4.0 does make it a bit more complicated. There are 391 commits between
> 63232f and 8024f4 including 57 merges from maint and 8 feature branches.
> That makes knowing that the problem exists in the latter commit and not in
> the former less helpful than it might be.
>
> You can test your hypothesis that a merge caused the regression by testing
> 3.11, the last release on the 3.x maint branch. If that fails you can
> bisect between it and 63232f. Use `git bisect`, it's the quickest and
> easiest way to find the commit that caused the problem.
>
> If 3.11 is good then you can run bisect so that it always tests merge
> commits and ignores the commits being merged with `git bisect
> --first-commit start 8024f4 63232f`.
>
> Regards,
> John Ralls
>

>> On Jul 17, 2021, at 7:46 AM, Dong Lin via gnucash-user
>> <gnucash-user at gnucash.org> wrote:
>>

>> Did more searches.  the issue exists in 4.6, running gnc on Ubuntu
>> 20.04.1
>> LTS with standard gnome.
>>
>> I've gone through the following commits in maint:
>>
>> 4.6  2021 228954c40 bad
>> 0425-2020 8024f44bc bad
>> 0425-2020 63232f388 good
>> 3.10 2020 7d39ccc9d good
>> 3.6  2019 d42695e75 good
>> 0615-2019 410ae9575 good
>> 0601-2019 170651602 good
>> 0601-2019 3a91eedb4 good
>> 0531-2019 69ea174cd bad
>> 0415-2019 0251d044b bad
>> 3.5  2019 b7479e8fb bad
>>
>> I couldn't go any older because ancient code cannot be compiled by my
>> environment.
>>
>> The merges really obscured the search. the order of the merged commits
>> are
>> not chronological. timestamps are time of commit, not time of merge.
>>
>> It looks as if the bug was fixed at one point, but it was lost in a
>> merge.
>>

>>> Running gnc in Ubuntu 20.04 LTS.  Default gnc is 3.8.  I built the
>>> gnc
>>> trees based off of master at various commits for the bisect.
>>> ; lsb_release -a
>>> No LSB modules are available.
>>> Distributor ID: Ubuntu
>>> Release:Â Â Â Â Â Â Â  20.04
>>> Codename:Â Â Â Â Â Â  focal
>>>

>>> ; grep WEBKIT ./common/config.h
>>> /* Definitions for what WEBKIT version we're compiling against: */
>>> #define WEBKIT2_4 1
>>> /* #undef WEBKIT2_3 */
>>> /* #undef WEBKIT1 */
>>>

>>> I compared the preprocessor output for html/gnc-html-webkit2.c,  the
>>> affected code block between  the working and non-working versions are
>>> identical.  But some line numbers for other .h files are different.
>>> So I
>>> have assumed that it's not 8024f44bc,  but other 100+ commits that
>>> came
>>> with the tree merge.
>>>
>>> the VNC server runs on Ubuntu (the same machine that the binary is
>>> on). The VNC viewer is MacOS (TigherVNC). Tried another viewer running