[GNC] Can anyone help with this issue please - GNC-FQ Not able to collect data

david.romano at davidjromano.com david.romano at davidjromano.com
Sun Jul 18 06:04:36 EDT 2021

I'm having a problem with GNC-FQ not being able to retrieve currency data
for the GBP / EUR currency pair.

I had previously used FQ back when the data source was Yahoo, but when the
Yahoo died I stopped using it.

I now need to pick up GBP and EUR rates so I've installed the components
required to get the Alphavantage feed to work - or so I hoped!

Here's where I've got to so far:

1.	I updated GNU Cash to current 4.6.
2.	I installed Strawberry Perl version 5.32.1.1
3.	I'm Running Windows 10 Professional 21H1 build 19043.110
4.	I added my aphhavantage key in Preferences \ Online Quotes
5.	I ran perl gnc-fq-check and got the following result:

C:\Program Files (x86)\gnucash\bin>perl gnc-fq-check

("1.51" "aex" "alphavantage" "amfiindia" "asegr" "asx" "aufunds" "australia"
"bamosz" "bet" "bloomberg" "bourso" "bse" "bseindia" "canada" "canadamutual"
"comdirect" "cse" "deka" "dutch" "dwsfunds" "europe" "fetch_live_currencies"
"fidelity" "fidelity_direct" "finanzpartner" "fondsweb" "fool" "ftfunds"
"fundata" "fundlibrary" "goldmoney" "greece" "hu" "hufund" "hungary"
"hustock" "iexcloud" "india" "indiamutual" "known_currencies"
"morningstarau" "morningstarjp" "mstaruk" "nasdaq" "nseindia" "nyse" "nzx"
"onvista" "oslobors" "romania" "seb_funds" "six" "tiaacref" "tmx"
"tradeville" "troweprice" "troweprice_direct" "tsp" "ukfunds" "unionfunds"
"usa" "usfedbonds" "yahoo_json" "za")

6.	I ran perl gnc-fq-update and got the following result:

C:\Program Files (x86)\gnucash\bin>perl gnc-fq-update

Database was generated on Sat, 17 Jul 2021 11:42:13 GMT

Date::Manip is up to date (6.85).

Finance::Quote is up to date (1.51).

7.	I tested the alphavantage data feed using this URL string and got
the following result:

https://www.alphavantage.co/query?function=CURRENCY_EXCHANGE_RATE&from_curre
ncy=GBP&to_currency=EUR&apikey=[MYKEY}

Realtime Currency Exchange Rate

1. From_Currency Code       "GBP"

2. From_Currency Name      "British Pound Sterling"

3. To_Currency Code  "EUR"

4. To_Currency Name "Euro"

5. Exchange Rate       "1.16550000"

6. Last Refreshed       "2021-07-18 09:00:04"

7. Time Zone    "UTC"

8. Bid Price       "1.16544000"

9. Ask Price       "1.16555000"

All looked good so I set the two currencies GBP and EUR to get online quotes
in the Security Editor.

I then switched to the Price Database and clicked Get Quotes only to get the
following failure message:

Interestingly, when I click the Get Quotes button (and when I open GNU Cash)
Perl pops a blank CMD window  (C:Strawbery\perl\bin\perl.exe) and the window
closes without being populated.

I then created a new alphavantage key which I updated in GNC preferences,
but I got the same result when I ran Get Quotes.

I next tried the following code example:

cd \Program Files (x86)\gnucash\bin

set ALPHAVANTAGE_API_KEY=[MYKEY]

perl gnc-fq-dump alphavantage CSCO

Which generated the following output:

C:\Program Files (x86)\gnucash\bin>perl gnc-fq-dump alphavantage EUR

syswrite() on unopened filehandle GEN0 at
C:/Strawberry/perl/lib/IO/Handle.pm line 459.

Finance::Quote fields Gnucash uses:

    symbol: EUR (deduced)        <=== required

    date: ** missing **        <=== recommended

   currency: ** missing **        <=== required

    last: **missing**          <=\

    nav: **missing**          <=== one of these

    price: **missing**          <=/

   timezone:                      <=== optional

My immediate thought was that either GNC or PERL were being blocked by Win
10 security so I explicitly added both Perl Interpreter and GNC to the apps
allowed through Windows Firewall - both private and public. This made no
difference.

I then wondered if the problem was IP blocking so tried again over a VPN,
thus a different IP. This made no difference.

I'm not a Perl programmer so I'm now pretty much stuck. Possibly I've missed
something very obvious or else there is something strange going on here
which I don't understand.

If anyone can suggest how to diagnose the issue from here, or better still
fix the issue, I'd very much appreciate the help.