[GNC] Possible Bug with GNUCash - GNUCash cannot see/open files with OneDrive

Dean Gibson gnucash.stuff at mailpen.com
Tue Jul 20 12:35:35 EDT 2021

On 2021-07-20 08:40, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, July 20, 2021 11:33 am, Cameron Podd wrote:
>
> Can't parse the URL
> /Users/<username>/OneDrive/Documents/GnuCashData.gnucash
> What OS/Distro are you using?
> Is OneDrive actually *mounted*?
> Can you browse to /Users/<username>/OneDrive/Documents from a
> Terminal/Command-line and see your data file there?

I've had my GnuCash files in OneDrive for years without a problem.

However, there is one issue that *all users who put their files in the
Documents folder* need to acquaint themselves with:

Ever since Windows XP (& I think before), Windows has had "Special
Folders" ( see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_folder ) that
appear to be in the user's "home" directory, can be moved elsewhere &
still appear to be in the home directory.  There are currently twelve
such folders, & one of them is "Documents". This is why most users see
two copies of each of these folders in File Explorer.  One is the real
folder, & one is a Special Folder that points to the real folder.
Special Folders are visible in File Explorer, but not in a command window.

"Special Folders" is a really *STUPID* name, & I personally refer to
them as Shell Folders (because they only appear in the File Explorer.
which technically a "shell" in computer terminology).  However, for the
purpose of this message, I will use Microsoft's terminology.

This feature has several advantages (& I use it), but *only if you
educate people about it *(which goes against the grain of Microsoft
clearly documenting anything, other than in the bowels of Tech Notes)!

Windows has been known to change the Special Folders to refer to actual
folders in OneDrive, leaving the original real folders (& their files)
intact in the home folder.  Or, after complaints, it has moved the files
from home folders to the OneDrive folders, leaving the original folder
empty.  Now, when you have *TWO *real Documents folders (one in the home
directory & one in OneDrive), plus the Special Folder that appears in
File Explorer (but not in a command window), things can get confusing
for the uninformed user.

Most 3rd party software ignores the Special Folder pointer, & just uses
the real Documents folder.   However, if the real Documents folder is
not pointed to by the Special Documents folder, it can appear that your
files are gone!

Solution: *Don't EVER put non-Microsoft files in a Documents folder*.
Create a new folder in OneDrive that's not in your Documents folder, &
it will be untroubled by this nonsense.

ps: Hint: If you want to have both Documents folders easily
distinguished from the Special Folder, put references to them in Libraries.