[GNC] Making Tax Digital (MTD) for Tax Self-Assessment

Neil Campbell neilcamp65 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 21 12:09:38 EDT 2021

Hi Maf

Thanks for your response.

Have a look at HMRC website for more info:
https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/making-tax-digital-for-business-an-overview-for-small-businesses-the-self-employed-and-smaller-landlords <https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/making-tax-digital-for-business-an-overview-for-small-businesses-the-self-employed-and-smaller-landlords>

I am not sure where this was followed up but a few days ago I received an email from QuickBooks headlined:
Tuesday 27 July, 2:00 PM - 3:00 PM
Webinar: MTD for ITSA - prepare now for a stress-free 2023
Hi Neil,

Making Tax Digital for Income Tax Self-Assessment (known as MTD for ITSA) will require all businesses and landlords with gross income in excess of £10,000 to keep digital records from April 2023. Although 2023 may seem far-off, it’s important to start preparing your practice and clients now.
GNUCash already provides digital accounting so there is no problem there. Perhaps there will be a requirement to submit the quarterly returns mentioned in the URL above with direct integration of digital accounts to HMRC returns.

Regarding Digital VAT, I thought that this GST in GNUCash applied only to Australian GST. However, HMRC have a webpage saying:
HM Revenue & Customs
English  Newid yr iaith ir GymraegCymraeg <https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/making-tax-digital-software/hmrc-frontend/language/cy>
Find software for Making Tax Digital for VAT

GNUCash is not listed in their linked list of 12 Free Accounting software packages, so I thought that it didn’t comply.

If you can find anything else to clarify this, please post to this forum.

Neil
neilcamp65 at gmail.com