[GNC] Difficulties entering share purchases

Eric Coates TwistedWood at talktalk.net
Tue Jul 27 11:23:38 EDT 2021

In January this year,whilst running Ubuntu 20.10 and GnuCash 3.x, I
purchased some shares and all seemed quite "normal". Since then I have
upgraded my operating system to Ubuntu 21.04 (which I am running "On X
Org" as "Wayland" causes KeePassXC to fail) and installed GnuCash 4.4
(with F::Q 1.49 but that is probably irrelevant). Recently I bought some
more shares and things seemed to go a bit wappy.

Of lesser importance is the presentation of the tab that shows activity
of a past purchase of shares:
Fig 1 shows the tab when a dividend payment is highlighted, note the
purchase of shares on 21/1/21;
Fig 2 shows the same tab when the purchase is highlighted, the number of
shares has changed from 216 to 2;
Fig 3 shows the appearance when the constituent splits are shown, 216 is
shown;
Fig 4 shows what happens when the first split is highlighted.

Of far greater importance (to me) is what happens when I want to record
a purchase now. My past practice (which I have used for at least six
years) is to duplicate an earlier purchase and edit it to show the
details of the current purchase.

Fig 5 shows the initial state of the record which will be edited;
Fig 6 shows the new transaction, the number of shares has been changed
from 216 to 100;
Fig 7 shows what happens when I tab out of the shares column (the
intention being to delete the price, edit the buy cost and allow GnuCash
to calculate the unit price of the shares), the 100 changes to 1;
Fig 8 shows the effect of deleting the share price, entering the total
price (1000.00) and tabbing to the next field (the number of shares
disappears);
Fig 9 shows the effect of entering the transaction there was no
invitation to recalculate the share price (of course I expect the
Imbalance to appear)

For completeness: I have tried the same sequence of events on Ubuntu on
Wayland with the same results and I have set up a dummy set of accounts
and followed the instructions in the manual with consistent results.

It's almost certainly me at fault and I will accept the laughter when my
idiocy is pointed out but, please, somebody point it out to me.

In anticipation

Eric

PS: I initially suspected that the change in values that occur might
have something to do with the "smallest fraction traded" settings.
Changing these settings does affect what is displayed but not the
overall effect of failing to show the new purchase.