[GNC] Simple Update Question

Geoff cleanoutmyshed at gmail.com
Wed Jul 28 02:13:42 EDT 2021

Hi Sharon

IMHO the biggest benefit you will get by upgrading is the reduced data
entry work on transactions when choosing an account by being able to
type in any part of an account name.

To illustrate, consider this account:
Expenses:Personal:Shoes

At present, you need to type something like "Ex:Pe:Sh" to get a match.
With this new feature, you only need to type "sho" or "oes".  Doesn't
seem like much on paper, but in practice it is a huge convenience.

This terrific feature was introduce in release 4.0:

"New type-ahead search added to sequential search when selecting an
account in the register: Instead of typing the first few characters of a
top level account, the separator, the first few characters of the next
level account and so on you may instead type a few characters of any
part of a full account name and the drop-list will be filtered to
contain only matching accounts. Once you have a small enough list you
can use the arrow keys to select the account that you want."

https://www.gnucash.org/news.phtml

Also I find that the Multicolumn versions of the Balance Sheet & Income
Statement are quite useful, but I can't remember when they were
released.  I am currently using release 4.4, and they are under the
Reports / Experimental menu.

Regards

Geoff
=====