[GNC] No Suitable Backend Found

Jack Frillman jcf_m_lists at me.com
Wed Jul 28 12:50:36 EDT 2021

I would not use MSWord or LibreOffice to look at it because those are
word processors and not straight text editors.
One poorly placed fat finger could write formatting to the data file
really messing it up.
Notepad is safer not sure about Wordpad.

On 7/28/21 12:30 PM, David Carlson wrote:
> Adam,
> the data files with the .gnucash suffix are a special form of text file
> that can be read with your regular text editors such as wordpad, notepad or
> an office editor like MSWord or LibreOffice.  GnuCash normally compresses
> these files by default, so you may need to uncompress the files with your
> favorite file compression program.
>
> As Derek mentioned, recovered files must be on a different physical medium
> than your unrecovered files.  You are running your OS and GnuCash from a
> fresh copy on a different physical drive as well, I hope.
>
> If any of those editor programs can display clear text and it looks like
> transaction data rather than other information like window dimensions or
> report settings  then you probably have  recovered your data.
>
> On Wed, Jul 28, 2021 at 11:04 AM Derek Atkins <derek at ihtfp.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Wed, July 28, 2021 11:57 am, Adam Hodnett wrote:
>>> Maybe it is a metadata file... I do have many of the
>>> <filename>.YYYYMMDDHHMMSS.gnucash files in the same directory as the
>>> <filename>.gnucash file. They all give the same error. There are also
>> .txt
>>> files with the same names.
>>>
>>> I recovered the data with EaseUS Data Recovery. I am attempting to
>> recover
>>> the same data with a different program at the moment, in case that's the
>>> issue.
>> It is sounding like the recovery did not succeed.  If the backup failed to
>> recover even a single block of data it will cause the decompression to
>> fail.  Windows doesn't really have all the best tools to debug these kinds
>> of issues.
>>
>>> .gnucash files are all between 70kb and about 140kb.
>> Assuming you mean KB (KiloBytes) and not kb (kilobits), those files are
>> probably about the correct size if you don't have a ton of transactions.
>> My 15-year-old data file is 2.8 MB.
>>
>> Note:  Backups only work if you copy the data to another storage system
>> off your main system.
>>
>>> Adam Hodnett
>>> Videographer | Project Coordinator
>> -derek
>>
>> --
>>         Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745
>>         derek at ihtfp.com             www.ihtfp.com
>>         Computer and Internet Security Consultant

>> -----

Old Unix programmers never die, they just mv to /dev/null
- Anonymous