[GNC] WHY ARE THERE "IMBALANCE ENTRIES" AT ALL ?? JUST CURIOUS

Michael or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Thu Jun 3 14:14:31 EDT 2021

> The only problem I have is that it is far too easy (IMO, IME!) to
> accidentally create or use Orphan-* and Imbalance-* accounts just by
> hitting the tab key one time too many. I'd prefer to be able to set an
> option to disable that and to force me to balance the transaction
> before leaving it.

You mean by (on the fly) creating an account with a name like
"Imbalance" (or "Not-yet-assigned") to serve as a placeholder for when
you don't know where it should go? That anything in there means an issue
yet to be addressed? Gee, gnucash comes with that built in.

I know if the ONLY books you are keeping under gnucash are informal
personal books, you might think it easy to just "create an account" on
the fly. But some of us are keeping more formal books and might need to
consult with somebody before making that decision. Sometimes it was as
simple as getting an answer to "what was that item?" in a packet of
receipts submitted for reimbursements.  Maybe need to get the accountant
involved, maybe the board of directors, or the owner(s) of a business.

Note that "Imbalance"isn't the only sort of special account used to hold
amounts until resolved. Many. if not most businesses have a "Suspense"
account used when a payment comes in without necessary information to
determine "what for". Then somebody's job to resolve everything in
suspense. Businesses that do not ordinarily handle cash (and so not
making daily bank deposits) might have an "undeposited cash" account to
deal with rare cash situations.

Michael D Novack