[GNC] Large Negative Account Total

Jack Frillman jcf_m_lists at me.com
Tue Jun 8 17:04:24 EDT 2021

I have been using GNC for a few months now for my personal finances and
I'm trying to understand some it's behavior. I'm no accountant and I'm
sure I'm not following strict accounting rules. Again I'm using it only
for my personal finances and overall I am satisfied with what I have set
up. So the only changes I would make from here on I would consider tweeks.

I have the following account structure:

Investment Misc
     Expenses
         Fees A
         Fees B
     Income
         Interest
         Dividends
         LT Gains
         ST Gains

The parent account "Investment Misc" is an expense account and is marked
as a place holder account.
The sub accounts, "Expenses" and "Income", are expense or income
accounts and it's obvious which is which. They are also marked as a
place holder accounts.
So the only accounts that have any transactions are the sub accounts to
the "Expenses" and "Income" accounts. The vast majority of the
transactions are made as split transactions from other accounts. Note:
Account names have been disguised in my example.

In my account tabs the "Investment Misc" parent account shows a negative
amount. (-$70 K range)
All of these accounts go back to 2003 and have never been reconciled.
(Stop your screaming please......)

Questions:
+ What can I do to get the large negative amount for the Investment Misc
parent account not to be negative?
+ Does it figure into the NET Assets that appear on the bottom of the
GNU main window?

A couple of things I thought about trying.
+ Changing the Investment Misc parent account to a bank account.
+ Reconciled the sub accounts.

I didn't what to go willy-nilly changing things in fear of really
messing things up.

Hope this all made sense.
Thanks.

--
Old Unix programmers never die, they just mv to /dev/null
- Anonymous