[GNC] Should the gnc-fq-* helper scripts be invoked as commands, or as an arg to perl?

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Mon Jun 14 12:26:41 EDT 2021

> On Jun 13, 2021, at 8:53 PM, Jim DeLaHunt <list+gnucash at jdlh.com> wrote:
>
> Imagine if cars or medicines or food were produced with that as a guiding principle.

They are. The state requires extensive training and licensing before one is allowed to operate a car or to prescribe medicine. There's no such requirement for food (unless you're selling prepared meals to others) and as a result factory food has caused enormous damage to health; and the licensing requirements don't stop people from doing great harm with all three. Yet only prescription drugs have restrictions on distribution: I've bought a bunch of cars over the years and never once has the seller asked for my driver's license. There's exactly one non-prescription drug with a restriction, psuedoephedrine, and that's to make it hard to buy enough to cook meth--but the permitted amount is more than enough to poison someone.

There are also lots of examples of things readily available for sale where the user is well advised to get some training before using them, but there's no actual requirement to do so. Power saws are an excellent example. "If not duffer won't cut thumb off", to paraphrase Ransome.

Caveat emptor is the way of the world.

Regards,
John Ralls