[GNC] Should the gnc-fq-* helper scripts be invoked as commands, or as an arg to perl?

Frank H. Ellenberger frank.h.ellenberger at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 03:46:08 EDT 2021

Am 15.06.21 um 09:15 schrieb Jim DeLaHunt:

> I fear that I did a terrible job of explaining what change I propose to the Online quotes wiki page.

The result looks ways better than I had feared after the first
announcement. ;-)

Nice to have more wiki editors!

> I agree. But I now understand that for some users, including me,
> invoking the gnc-fq-* scripts as commands and relying on the shebang,
> leads to different results than invoking "perl gnc-fq-dump" etc.
> Teaching the user to rely on the shebang can make it _harder_ to find
> out why online quotes are not working as expected. Teaching the user
> "perl gnc-fq-dump" is still simple, but avoids that problem.

"perl gnc-fq-dump" will not really solve your problem. Instead you
should then run
"PATH/TO/MACOS/perl …"
"PATH/TO/MACPORT/perl …"
else the next user will complain "I rearranged my PATH variable and now
it's broken.

Perhaps add it as a section "multiple perl instances"? But I still think
it belongs more to troubleshooting than installation or usage.

> Thank you for your comments.
>
>       —Jim DeLaHunt

Regards
Frank