[GNC] Tracking the same asset or asset type held at multiple brokerages

Evelyn Yamanaka evelyn.yamanaka at gmail.com
Thu Mar 11 17:07:53 EST 2021

Suppose I have shares of equity funds (VTI, VOO), bond funds (BND,
HYG), and cash accounts at multiple brokerages (Vanguard, Fidelity,
Schwab).

I would like to generate balance sheets that show total assets in each
brokerage, as well balance sheets that show how much of each asset
type I have across all brokerages. For example,

(1) Totals per brokerage:
$100 at Vanguard
$200 at Fidelity
$300 at Schwab

(3) Totals per asset type:
$50 in Cash
$250 in Bonds
$300 in Equities

>From what I can tell, I can only choose one of these options, not
both, based on how I structure my accounts. For example,

(A) Allow reporting totals per brokerage:
Assets
- Vanguard
--- Cash accounts
----- Cash sweep
----- Money market fund
--- Bond funds
----- HYG
----- BND
--- Equity funds
----- VTI
----- VOO
(repeat for Fidelity, Schwab)

(B) Allow reporting totals per asset type:
Assets
- Equity funds
--- VTI
----- Vanguard
----- Fidelity
----- Schwab
--- VOO
----- Vanguard
----- Fidelity
----- Schwab
(Repeat for Bond funds, Cash accounts)

So, I guess I have two questions:

(1) Is there a way to generate balance sheets that show totals per
brokerage as well as totals per asset type, given the same account
structure?

(2) If the above is not possible, which account structure have you
found to be most natural / useful in your experience?

Thanks,