[GNC] mortgage refinance

pyz01 at cox.net pyz01 at cox.net
Sun Mar 21 10:38:53 EDT 2021

Parker -- for the case I was demonstrating, the old loan amount is not pertinent since you have been paying it down.  I keep track of the principal balance still remaining in the loan - so if the original loan was $100,000, the actual principal amount still due is less than that since you have been paying the loan down.   Notice - in Derek case he is also not taking into account the old loan amount, since, the old loan amount is not pertinent; but instead talking about the remaining principal balance -- which is very pertinent.

So in my case - I have the exact principal amount due on my existing loan.  So keeping with Derek example, let's say, for your example, that amount is $95,000 remaining principal balance.

Old Mortgage loan account --- Increase transaction - (new loan) $105,000.  Since my mortgage account shows the $95,000 still remaining, this shows a temporary balance of $200,000 ( the amount of the new loan and the amount of the still remaining principal balance of the old loan).

Now I credit this same account (decrease transaction) the amount the bank paid off from the old loan (the remaining principal balance of $95,000).  The next result is the balance is now the total principal balance of the new loan $105,000.

As I said, there are several way to do this and a lot depends on what accounts you have setup and how you have them setup.  For me, this is the easiest way to keep the same account, and just replace the old loan with the new loan.  The split transaction I have to do this includes various accounts and amounts for the expenses included in the closing statement -- but the net affect is the mortgage account changes from the old outstanding principal balance to the new one.  And as I make payments in the future, the principal balance is decreased by the principal portion of my payment and the interest goes to an interest expense account to keep track of my deductible interest (in a separate account).

This is the long answer to essentially say I just replace the old principal balance for the new principal balance.