[GNC] closing of books and multiple currencies: a question on exchanges

Andrea Borgia andrea at borgia.bo.it
Tue Mar 23 03:58:09 EDT 2021

Il 22/03/21 23:55, David Cousens ha scritto:
> Andrea,
>
> It is not clear to me where the $6.54 in the paypal:usd account comes from.
> I was assuming it was an existing balance at the time you made the purchase
> in euros which resulted in Paypal transferring money from your USD paypal
> balance to cover the purchase.  In that case there is no expense associated
> with the $6.54 balance. It is the outcome of previous transactions. It will
> also depend upon the base currency for your books which I would presume,
> maybe incorrectly would be lire

I haven't had a "Lira" in 20 years and I'm pretty happy about it too :)

Base currency in Italy, and most of the EU, is the "Euro" (EUR)

I see that simply describing the transactions is gonna get us nowhere,
so here come the screenshot(s).

Instead of merging them into one large picture, I have numbered them and
added a descriptive name to hopefully make it easier to follow.

In the context of my original mail:

  * "Paypal:EUR" is "Attività:Liquide:Carte:Paypal"
  * "paypal:usd" is "Attività:Liquide:Carte:Paypal:USD"
  * "expenses:EUR:IT" is "Costi:Euro:Elettronica / Fotografia"
  * "expenses:USD:IT" is "Costi:Dollari:Elettronica / Fotografia"
  * "Results:USD" is "Risultato:Dollari"
  * "Asset:USD" is "Capitale:Dollari"

Hope this is easier to follow than my description.

Thanks,

Andrea.