[GNC] How to code merchant refunds

Stan Brown the_stan_brown at fastmail.fm
Wed Mar 24 13:25:12 EDT 2021

On 2021-03-24 08:11, Robert Heller wrote:
> At Wed, 24 Mar 2021 09:48:29 -0500 Mike <txtinman at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> So you suggest I go to the original entry and reduce the amount spent by
>> the amount refunded?
>
> No, you add a split to account for the refund.  You will actually add two
> lines to the transaction, one for the expense account (that will reduce the
> expense by the amount of the refund) and one for the account used to pay for
> the expense (and is presumably the account receiving the refund).

I agree with the entries, but I would make them a new transaction, dated
the day of the refund. I don't like the idea of retroactively changing a
transaction. To me, each real-world event should be one transaction,
with however many splits are needed, and the purchase and the return
are different events.

--
Stan Brown
Tehachapi, CA, USA