[GNC] asset discrepancy in change of year

Andrea Borgia andrea at borgia.bo.it
Sun Mar 28 04:44:00 EDT 2021

Il 27/03/21 19:04, Michael or Penny Novack ha scritto:

> Now we come to the end of the year, at which point let's say the
> exchange rate is $1.25/1 EUR. Those $1300 are no longer worth 1000
> Eur. They are worth 1040 EUR. Your equity has gone up by 40 EUR.
>
> I will stop here because the issue of how "unrealized gains/losses
> from changes in exchange rate" will be treated is not a gnucash issue.
> It's exactly the same no matter what accounting software you use or
> even old fashioned pen and ink on paper.

Thanks, now I get it, I think. I don't have enough EUR/USD conversions
for that to be the cause of my issue but I do have plenty of mutual
funds and the logic is indeed the same.

Basically my options during the change of books are either:

1) setting a closing price for each fund that matches the original
purchase / year opening price: this way it will appear to be unchanged

or

2) I post the value difference, either cumulative or per fund, as
"unrealized gain / loss" and that's it.

Thanks,

Andrea.