[GNC] Confused Entering A Refund To Credit Card Account

Jack Frillman jcf_m_lists at me.com
Tue Mar 30 23:22:06 EDT 2021

I do know the difference between credit and a debt.

Doesn't everyone track their sales tax as a separate expense item? Why
would you consider sales tax the same type of an expenditure as
groceries, gasoline or your electric bill?

When I say a split 1 and split 2 I'm referring to  each separate item in
a split transaction

I buy a pair of socks for $5 and a hammer for $10 and sales tax of $0.24
for a total $15.24.
There's a split transaction that comprises of three items:
Socks  $5.00  makes an enter into the clothing account <----- that's
what I call split 1
Hammer $10.00 makes an entry into the tools account <------ that's what
I call split 2
Sales tax $0.24 makes an entry into the state sales tax account <-----
that's what I call split 3

Maybe that's not the correct accounting term but then again I'm not an
accountant. I'm just trying to track where I spend my money.

On 3/30/21 9:47 PM, Michael or Penny Novack wrote:
> I'm going to break into bits as there are several things here
>

>> What's confusing me is that I was not forgetting to add any
>> transactions in the split. GNUCash kept doubling the amount of the
>> total and subtracting all my split transactions from that doubled
>> total it invented and adding the difference to the Unbalanced-USD. I
>> eventually figured out how to do it after much trial and error. Then
>> when I got to this refund and tried to enter the splits it started
>> doubling the total of the transaction again. I still don't understand
>> why it does that.
>
> 1) It really would help if you knew what a journal entry looked like
> when bookkeeping was done pen and ink on paper. Because that is the
> "view" you are in, what the transaction entry would look like in the
> journal.
>
> 2) It would help if you knew debit from credit. Here the user friendly
> labels might not be your friend because they are account sensitive
> (change with account type) but when you are entering a split, just
> left/right   debit/credit   What is causing the behavior you find
> mysterious (what you see as doubling is because you still see the line
> you originally entered before you hit "split". THAT line is now (also)
> appearing in the "journal view" of the transaction that hitting
> "split" has opened for you.
>

>> The software I was using before handled the split transactions by
>> adding each split to it's own account like GNUCash but the method of
>> entry was more intuitive. You enter split 1 with it's associated
>> account, then split 2 with it's associated account, then split 3 with
>> it's associated account, hit enter and you have your total. With
>> GNUCash I have to first enter the total amount* then enter split 1
>> with it's associated account, then split 2 with it's associated
>> account, then split 3 with it's associated account, close the split
>> then hit enter. If I get one thing wrong it will invent an extra
>> amount and add that to the Unbalanced-USD account. When that happens
>> I delete the thing and start over.
>
> Practice splits. I am not QUITE sure what you mean by "split1",
> "split2" etc. You are presumably entering ONE split transaction,
> meaning a transaction that has more than just one debit and one
> credit. Essentially gnucash is providing a short cut method of
> entering transactions where only one of each. The "journal view" entry
> of a transaction is how ALL transactions used to be entered in the
> days before computer assisted accounting.
>

>> Most of my transactions are split transactions because I even when
>> purchase only one item there is also the sales tax which is it's own
>> split transaction.
>
> Fair enough, but that's not a gnucash matter. I assume there is a good
> reason for you to be tracking sales tax expense separately from the
> ordinary expense of whatever was purchased. But again, use of the term
> "split". Say I write a check for $105 to buy a widget costing $100 and
> [...]

Old Unix programmers never die, they just mv to /dev/null
- Anonymous