[GNC] Confused Entering A Refund To Credit Card Account

Stan Brown the_stan_brown at fastmail.fm
Wed Mar 31 12:33:22 EDT 2021

On 2021-03-30 20:22, Jack Frillman via gnucash-user wrote:
> Doesn't everyone track their sales tax as a separate expense item? Why
> would you consider sales tax the same type of an expenditure as
> groceries, gasoline or your electric bill?

As far as I'm concerned, taxes are part of the purchase price. Sometimes
they are disclosed, other times not. If they're not disclosed, then
obviously I can't account for them separately. When they are disclosed,
I suppose I could account for them separately; but that would create an
inconsistency in how I accounted for different categories of expenses
and assets.

For instance, in the US there are State and Federal excise taxes on
gasoline. But the price on the pump includes that excise tax amount; it
is what we actually pay. It would seem absurd to me to ferret out the
tax amounts and account for them separately.

I states that have a sales tax, my restaurant bill consists of the price
shown on the menu, the sales tax on that amount, and whatever gratuity I
choose to add. The sales tax is de jure part of the cost of my dinner;
the gratuity is de facto part of the cost because of longstanding
custom. Even though these are stated separately, it would seem absurd to
me to account for them separately.

--
Stan Brown
Tehachapi, CA, USA