[GNC] Setting "Retain log files" to "never" doesn't seem to work

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Sun May 2 11:50:06 EDT 2021

On Sun, May 02, 2021 at 11:11:34AM -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Hi,
>
> GnuCash will always make backups.  The "Retain log/backup" label is a
> little bit of a misnomer -- it's asking how how often to clean up the
> logs/backups -- so by saying "never" you are saying you never want to
> clean up.
>
> If you truly never want to keep backups, your best bet is to set it for
> like 1 day.

It's more than a 'misnomer', it simply wrong, especially given the three
alternatives one is offered:-

    Retain log/backup files:-
        Never
        For             [1  Days]
        Forever

How can it really have been intended to mean what you're trying to
tell me? :-)

If 'Never' means never clean backups then what on earth does 'Forever'
mean?

But anyway the option says "Retain log/backup files" and 'Never'
Retain log/backup files can only really mean what thing can't it?

If it does work as you suggest (as opposed to what it says) then what
on earth does 'Forever' mean?

While I'm here, if I set the retain time to one day who/what clears
the files?  Presumably they will only get cleared the next time I run
Gnucash won't they?

Thanks for your reply anyway.

--
Chris Green