[GNC] Building GnuCash from src distributions

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Wed May 19 23:29:06 EDT 2021

> On May 19, 2021, at 3:30 PM, mike823 <fkjasdhf878 at mailinator.com> wrote:
>
> Hi John,
>
> As recommended, I have tried Fedora's regular GnuCash RPM. Just by launching
> it, I don't have a way to validate that includes or not python bindings.
>
> The issue is that the gnucash python module cannot be installed.
>
> [xxxxxxxx at fedora ~]$ pip install gnucash
> Defaulting to user installation because normal site-packages is not
> writeable
> ERROR: Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement gnucash
> ERROR: No matching distribution found for gnucash
> [xxxxxxxx at fedora ~]$

That's because there's no such thing as a GnuCash PyPi package. The Fedora GnuCash RPM installs the Gnucash bindings into
/usr/lib64/python3.9/site-packages/gnucash, as anyone who understands Python well enough to use the bindings would expect.
See https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/rpminfo?fileStart=400&rpmID=25841895&fileOrder=name&buildrootOrder=-id&buildrootStart=0#filelist.

Regards,
John Ralls