[GNC] question - how do I move one or more transactions between accounts?

Michael or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Sat May 29 08:21:53 EDT 2021

On 5/29/2021 5:02 AM, s310310 at gmail.com wrote:
> hi,
>
> I want to re-organize my transactions into the correct accounts.
> I know I can "CUT" from the original account and "PASTE" in the destination
> account.
> It takes a lot of work.
>
> Is there a way to select the required transactions and do a "move" instead?
>
> Shay

With double entry bookkeeping each transaction affects at least two
account. Understand? A transaction is never "in" just one account.

"How do I change one of these accounts?"     Open the transaction in the
other account. In edit transaction mode, respecify the other account..If
the error was in a slit transaction, find it in any of the other
account, enter split mode, and respecify the one that is wrong.

"How do I change both accounts?     Do the previous process twice, fix
one, then from that account, fix the other.

"How do I do this according to more formal bookkeeping procedures?"
In more formal bookkeeping, once entered, a transaction is never
altered. I am not talking about wile you were working, but when
correcting at some later date. Instead, you enter a transaction to
correct the account making it clear what you are doing in the description.

Michael D Novack