[GNC] New Imbalance-XXX Behavior

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Mon May 31 10:56:02 EDT 2021

The Imbalance-xxx account will reappear the next time an error is made in
balancing a transaction, or if a transaction is intentionally left out of
balance to be fixed later, so it is useless to delete the account.
I agree with David T that new entries should go to the existing account,
even if it is not in the default position in the CoA.

On Mon, May 31, 2021 at 9:45 AM Derek Atkins <derek at ihtfp.com> wrote:

> The existence of an Imbalance account means you have an error in a
> transaction.  So you should fix it and empty it..
>
> -derek
> Sent using my mobile device. Please excuse any typos.
> On May 31, 2021 10:34:48 AM "D. via gnucash-user"
> <gnucash-user at gnucash.org> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have noticed a new behavior in regards to the automatic creation of
> > entries to Imbalance-XXX (in my case,  Imbalance-USD).
> >
> > When I first started using Gnucash, I found the creation of a top level
> > imbalance account to be additional unwanted clutter to my Chart of
> > Accounts. I found, by sheer coincidence, that I could move the top level
> > account into a different area of my CoA (in my case, a top level
> > placeholder called Special Accounts, which includes a number of these
> types
> > of accounts), and Gnucash would use that newly-situated Imbalance-XXX
> > account for all new automatically-created imbalance entries.
> >
> > Alas, this is no more. In my most recent session, I have found that
> Gnucash
> > has decided that it must ALWAYS use a top level Imbalance account for
> these
> > entries. I find the concomitant clutter of my books annoying.
> >
> > This is disappointing. Does anyone know why this behavior has changed,
> and
> > is there any point to submitting a bug request to have the previous
> > behavior restored?
> >
> > David T.
> > Gnucash user since 2005
> > Current: GC 4.5 on Windows 10