[GNC] Updating from v 2.6.16.

davidcousens49 at gmail.com davidcousens49 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 18:52:17 EDT 2021

Mike,

There are three major issues associated with upgrading:

Upgrading the data file format;
Relocation of user preference data/config data (changes of storage location and
methodology;
Preserving any saved reports/config changes;

The first two generally take place, if at all at the major version transitions
2->3->4.

Release numbers are major.minor.micro

The major component of the release number usually flags incompatible
architecture changes, changes to database schema and the API. Minor version
numberssignify stable releases if even and unstable releases if odd. These are
primarily bug fixes and minor feature releases. The micro numbers are sequential
for each release

GnuCash generally includes an inbuilt, run once only procedure to update the
data file format and usually to relocate any config and reports to the new
locations from the last minor release.

Since you ar on Windows, you won't need to build your files the programs. You
can find copies of all releases of GnuCash on SourceForge at this location
https://sourceforge.net/projects/gnucash/files/gnucash%20%28stable%29/.

Before starting it is a very good idea to make backup copies of your data
files,user data, config etc. File locations in GNuCash are discussed on the
wikipage https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Configuration_Locations but this is a
fairly complex document as it covers all operating systems and GC versions.

Your data files are located in your user directory where you have chosen to
locate them.

The migration of user preferences, saved reports and online Banking data is
discussed in the wiki at
https://www.gnucash.org/docs/v4/C/gnucash-guide/basics-migrate-settings.html.

After making backups the procedure is fairly simple. Install GC V3.11
(download gnucash-3.11.setup.exe from
https://sourceforge.net/projects/gnucash/files/gnucash%20%28stable%29/3.11/ and
run the .exe file to install it as usual on Windows. Open each of your data
files (if you have more than one data file) with the 3.11 version which will do
any necessary datafile modification and shifting of config data etc to new
locations and then save them. Check that all saved reports you use are listed in
the menu and can be used. If not you may need to copy them from the ~/.gnucash
directory specified in the migration wiki above. If everything is working then
you are ready to upgrade to V4.

If not ask on the User forum for help before proceeding. You shouldn't have to
have to restore the data files and config, reports etc form your backups before
opening them.

To go to V4 if there are no problems the procedure is much the same. Make
backups of your data files and the config, reports etc files for V3 as discussed
in https://www.gnucash.org/docs/v4/C/gnucash-guide/basics-migrate-settings.html.
You shouldn't need these but it never hurts to be careful.

The download the V4 version you wish to install (4.8) and install it. Open ALL
your data files (if more than one) and save them after GC has done any reuired
conversions and migrations). Again check you have all your previous
functionality and that your saved reports are available and functioning.

If all is ok you are good to go at the latest version. If not come back to the user forum for assistance.
David Cousens