[GNC] Bug in Quote to Balance Translation

Rainer Dorsch ml at bokomoko.de
Mon Nov 8 06:12:20 EST 2021

Hi,

I have a very weird behavior with quotes retrieved through finance quote with
the price editor:

I have a fund (Vanguard FTSE, IE00B3RBWM25) and retrieve a quote from
fondsweb. Fond is in USD, default currency is EUR. I have an USD account, so
also a translation USD->EUR is fetched.

So far everything is perfect, the entries show up in the price editor and the
correct translation into a balance in EUR is shown in the account book.

When I retrieve a new quote the next day, the updates appear in the price
editor as expected. Looks perfect in there.

But in the account book, the translation into EUR is shown and after the
second quote, the balance shown is 0 (zero).

If I delete the new quote again, everything is fine again. If I delete the old
quote, I still have a zero.

Does anybody have an idea what can go wrong to get a zero translation in the
account book with the new entry in the price editor?

The second entry looks the same as the first entry in the price editor, except
date and price. Are there any hidden, not shown entries in the price editor?

Even more weird: the behavior seems to be bound to IE00B3RBWM25 another fund
(iShare) also listed in USD works perfectly.

The behavior seems to be perfectly reproducible.

Here is a small test file:

http://bokomoko.de/~rd/gnucash/test.gnucash

iShares Account works as expected, Vanguard show 0 EUR.

If you delete the more recent entry for Vanguard in the price editor it also
shows the correct balance in EUR.

For a balance in USD also everything works fine. So it must be related to the
translation in EUR. But why does it work for one fund and not the other?

For me it look like a bug, if anybody can confirm, I am happy to open a bug
report. I am running gnucash 4.4 which comes with Debian 11 (stable).

Any hint or insight is welcome :-)
Rainer

--
Rainer Dorsch