[GNC] CSV Import Reconciled field

Ove Grunnér write2ove at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 07:17:43 EST 2021

 Hello, all

I am in the process of changing from QIF import to CSV import of data and
have encountered a difference in the functionality that I am trying to
understand better in order to make it compatible with my own process, or
change my own process to suit the functionality.

My Account Structure is in principle:

Asset:Credit Card
Asset:Card Receipts
Expenses:Various Expense accounts

My process to date have been to Scan all receipts and based on the file
names of each receipt, [ e.g. 20211231_VISA CARD_000009.99_EUR_Place of
Sale_Category or Transfer Account_Note ] I then generate a QIF file and
import all receipts this way to [Asset:Card Receipts] in gnucash.

For bank and credit card statements I have then converted the statements I
download from Online to QIF format, and then I import these QIF files to
GnuCash, where the Account is always [Asset:Credit Card], and the transfer
account is always [Asset:Card Receipts]

As such, "Card Receipts" should always be Zero in the long run,
if it is positive I am missing a receipt, and if it is negative the
purchase has not yet showed up on my Credit Card.

I then have a report that shows all Non-Reconciled transactions in
[Asset:Card Receipts]
When Card statement and Receipts match, I manually click the R column to
set state to Reconciled.
I find this very easy to work with, as I decide the Expense category when I
name the receipt, and I can very easily reconcile it to make sure All Card
Expenses are tracked this way.

Recently in order to get Stock Transactions to import properly I had to use
CSV format to import transactions, and in order not to have to import both
QIF and CSV files, I decided to change receipts and Card Statements to CSV
also.

The problem I have now is that when I import any transaction using CSV it
always is set to "Reconciled" on import.
I tried to set the "Reconciled" field in the CSV Importer dialog, but it
seems it is ignoring the reconsoiled information on import.
Quote from GnuCash documentation: "Note that "reconciled" in this context
does not mean the same as "reconciled" in the process of reconciling an
account to an external statement. The reconciliation status of an imported
transaction is set to cleared (c) on import of a new transaction "

So the question is, without completely changing my process, is there a way
to force csv imports to show up as Not-Reconciled after import?
Some other way of achieving the definition of each receipts expense
category separate to the import process and an easy way of ensuring all
transactions on the statement has a receipt or similar confirmation of
correctness.

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice.

Kind regards Ove.