[GNC] A How-to question for new user of GNUCash

Geoff cleanoutmyshed at gmail.com
Tue Nov 23 23:41:24 EST 2021

Hi Chris

Welcome to the wonderful, and sometimes perplexing, world of GnuCash!

As receipt printing is not "out of the box" functionality, you will need
to explore some workarounds, which will in turn depend on how you have
set up your membership data in GnuCash.

Have you explored the Accounts Receivable functionality?  You mentioned
it is a "very small" organisation, so even though there are a few steps
involved you might find it manageable.  Under the Business / Customers
menu you could:
(1) Set up each member as a Customer
(2) Raise an Invoice for their fees
(3) "Post" that Invoice to generate the accounting records
(4) Record a Payment against the Invoice when they pay
(5) Generate a Customer Report for the member and print it (see attached
PDF)

An alternative to (4) is to import the payments via a bank statement,
then use the "Assign as Payment" function from the bank account
transaction (right mouse click on the transaction) to apply the payment
transaction to the corresponding Invoice.

More details here and via Google:
https://www.gnucash.org/viewdoc.phtml?rev=4&lang=C&doc=guide

ALTERNATIVELY if the above is too much rigmarole and you don't want to
run a debtors ledger, you could use the "Account Report - Single
Transaction" option to generate a report directly from the bank account
ledger as you record each transaction (see attached screenshot).

Hope this helps.

Regards

Geoff
=====