[GNC] Install Alphavantage Key

Geoff cleanoutmyshed at gmail.com
Thu Nov 25 19:04:30 EST 2021

Hi Peter

As Eric said, you need to enter your key via:-
  Edit / Preferences / Online Quotes

However I believe that Alpha Vantage no longer provide prices for
Australian securities.

I have been using the method below to reliably retrieve prices from the
Australian Securities Exchange (ASX) for a number of years.  I can't
help you with New Zealand.

Before doing anything in GnuCash, you should verify that the latest
version of the Perl Finance::Quote module (v1.51) is installed correctly:-
http://finance-quote.sourceforge.net/

On Windows, you can do this from a Command prompt as follows:
 >perl "C:\Program Files (x86)\gnucash\bin\gnc-fq-dump" asx CBA

Which should result in something like this:-
Finance::Quote fields Gnucash uses:
     symbol: CBA                  <=== required
       date: 11/26/2021           <=== recommended
   currency: AUD                  <=== required
       last: 96.1                 <=\
        nav:                      <=== one of these
      price: 96.1                 <=/
   timezone:                      <=== optional

Then you can open GnuCash and set up your portfolio as follows:-
(1) Create your Securities and link them to the ASX via:-
  Tools / Security Editor

(2) Create your Accounts (as Account Type of "Stock") and link them to
those Securities.

(3) Retrieve prices via:-
  Tools / Price Database / GetQuotes

See the attached screenshot for a detailed working example.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Geoff
=====