[GNC] Stock transaction research

Tom Browder tom.browder at gmail.com
Sat Nov 27 08:01:07 EST 2021

I have been browsing various Gnucash documentation areas and think Gnucash
might be able to help me with a tedious task: properly account for all
transactions on stocks bought many years ago which have undergone spinoffs,
splits, reverse splits, renames, etc. The stocks were recently sold to buy
real estate and we need accurate capital gain/loss calculations for the IRS.

Given the age of the holdings, the accounts of those stocks in TD
Ameritrade don't have accurate cost basis information, so I am belatedly
trying to calculate that for tax filing purposes.

I have all the records, but not all are in or available in digital form, so
I have been laboriously entering them in a spreadsheet.

Would it be worthwhile to set up a new data file just for those stocks and
import/hand enter them in Gnucash instead? (I suspect any IRS auditor would
be more impressed with my Gnucash data store than my Excel data store.)

Thanks.

-Tom