[GNC] Project moderation and governance

Jim DeLaHunt list+gnucash at jdlh.com
Fri Oct 1 19:09:28 EDT 2021

Hi, Borden:

I too have been using GnuCash for quite a while. I too follow the
gnucash-devel list, so I think I read the thread[1] to which you refer.
I sympathise with your frustration. I noted some rude and insulting talk
directed at you from someone else on that thread.

However, I can't agree with the level of direness in your message below.
What you are pointing out are imperfections in a generally strong and
well-run project. I don't see this as something seriously wrong with
product moderation or governance.

I also don't agree with some of your characterisations of that thread,
at least of I saw in the public list posts. You say that you replied "in
a single message" to a user who said several incorrect and insulting
things. I see you posting five times in reply to at least three people.
You say that 'a moderator called me an "offender" on-list - as if I'm a
criminal'. I saw one post from a moderator[2], referring to "offenders",
but not identifying you are anyone else as the offenders. You say,
"[t]his person" [in context, seems to refer to "someone who
self-identified as a moderator"]  "ignored my feedback and accused me
disparaging doctors." This seems out of character for the moderator. I
of course don't know the content of private messages between that
moderator and you. But I did see a message to you which seemed to accuse
you of disparaging doctors. That message was  from a person who was rude
and insulting in general, not from the moderator.

You are more likely to persuade someone like me of a need for better
product moderation or governance, if I can see that your summary of the
evidence matches how I read that evidence.

Sure, it would be better for this project to have a well-written and
well-followed code of conduct, rather than the current unwritten one.
But an unwritten code is better than some alternatives — including a
poorly-written code of conduct, or a code which is flouted. I can point
you to other projects which demonstrate those alternatives.

And my experience with Liz the moderator[2] is good. She intervened last
year when a GnuCash community member was being rude and abusive, to me
and others, on a scale and for a duration much greater than the thread
above. She gave that person warnings, threatened a block, and then the
abuse stopped. I will take that moderation over some of the
alternatives. I appreciate her work.

You say, "I appreciate that nobody cares whether I stay." Well, I care.
This project has a lot which needs doing. Many hands make light work. As
a fellow participant, I would rather have your contributions. But also,
don't expect everyone to agree with you.

You say,  "I can't see talent gravitating to toxic environments". I
can't either, but oh my, this environment does not qualify as "toxic". I
could show you some which do. The environment here is actually pretty
good. Don't expect it to be free of minor bruises. I get some myself
from time to time. But they heal. This project isn't bad.

Best regards,
      —Jim "no strong opinions on Fiscal Year terminology" DeLaHunt,
Vancouver, Canada

[1]
https://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-devel/2021-September/045946.html
and another thread which was part of the original discussion but is at
the top level of the archive listing for some reason.

[2]
https://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-devel/2021-September/045973.html