[GNC] Making the leap to latest

Michael or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Sat Oct 2 18:30:44 EDT 2021

On 10/2/2021 6:11 PM, AC wrote:
> I agree don't upgrade if not absolutely necessary but I will likely be
> replacing this computer in a few months so starting from a newer
> installation is much more likely to happen in that case.

a) Yes, you only want to be making one "change" at a time << FAR easier
to "debug" if there are problems. Since you will not easily have your
current gnucash version available for installation o  the new machine,
best to update now, while still on the old machine, to a current version
you will have available for installing on the new machine.

b) Going to a new computer, you will want to be saving ALL of your data
(not just gnucash data). If the OS is remaining the same, this is
relatively simple. If the OS will be changing (different on the new
machine) this will not be simple unless the two OS's use the same user
data structure.

c) In case "b" applies, do not immediately begin the "restore form
backup". Get the software on, and in each case, see where it puts the
application user data. You can then see what files to replace/where.

Michael D Novack