[GNC] Newest version for Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

david whiting dw at davidwhiting.me.uk
Sun Oct 3 02:33:59 EDT 2021

Create a desktop file on the desktop. To do this, open a text editor,
e.g. gedit, and paste the following into a file and save it on your
desktop with the name gnucash-maint.desktop (example file attached):

=== gnucash-maint.desktop ===

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Terminal=false
Exec=/home/jeff/Documents/gnucash/build/bin/gnucash
Name=GnuCash (maint)
Comment=Manage home and small business accounts
Icon=/home/jeff/Documents/gnucash/build/share/gnucash/pixmaps/gnucash-icon.ico

=== End of gnucash-maint.desktop ===

Note that:

1) I am guessing your username and am assuming that you have used the
paths in the bash script. Change the Exec and Icon lines accordingly
if your username is different.
2) I am assuming here you want to run it from the build folder. If you
run make install after building it, you will find it in
/home/jeff/opt/gnucash/bin/gnucash and can use that path instead in
the Exec and Icon lines (assuming your home is /home/jeff)

Once you have saved the file on your desktop, right click it and
select "Allow launching". You should now see the GnuCash icon with the
name "GnuCash (maint)" and should be able to use it to launch gnucash.
Going forward, if you want to keep up with the maintenance release,
and ultimately the next release, you can just git pull in the source
folder and build it again.

David