[GNC] Help updating from 2.4 to 4.7

Jim DeLaHunt list+gnucash at jdlh.com
Mon Oct 4 22:19:52 EDT 2021

Chris:

By "transfer my files", I take it you want to open your existing
bookkeeping data files in a new version of GnuCash. Your new version is
4.7, and the previous version was GnuCash 2.4.

This is answered in the FAQ, "Can a new GnuCash release still read my
old data file?"
<https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Q:_Can_a_new_GnuCash_release_still_read_my_old_data_file.3F>

The basic answer is "yes". Gnucash generally reads older data files from
earlier of its major version, and from the last release of the previous
major version.  There is no need to export your data from GnuCash 2.4 as
QIF or CSV.

But you need to (are advised to) do it in stages. First install the last
GnuCash 2.x release, open your GnuCash data book in that version, and do
the "Check & Repair" operation. Then install the last GnuCash 3.x
release, and repeat the process. Finally, install your GnuCash 4.7, and
repeat the process one last time.

By the way, the most recent GnuCash version is now 4.8. If you are on
macOS or Windows, this has the same functionality as 4.7. But if you are
moving to the newest version, you might as well take the newest newest
version.

Best regards,
     —Jim DeLaHunt