[GNC] email seems so crude 30 years after MULTICS forums.

Stan Brown the_stan_brown at fastmail.fm
Thu Oct 7 19:28:36 EDT 2021

> On 2021-10-07 11:10, David G. Pickett via gnucash-user wrote:
>
>> Can't GNUCash find an open source web app that does structured forums
>> in place of email full on copied replies upon replies in a long,
>> unstructured text string?

You do know that you can select individual messages rather than
so-called daily digest,(*) right? Both formats are a pain IMHO, but
individual messages are slightly less of a pain since I can sort by date
within subject line.

(*) I initially subscribed to daily digest, but got three or four
digests most days, so I had the worst of both worlds.

On 2021-10-07 12:42, Jim DeLaHunt wrote:
> I predict that we could have a big discussion about the pros and cons of
> email lists and forums, and we would end up without a resolution; we
> would discover that no one option works for everyone.

Of course there's Usenet, which doesn't require everyone to connect to
the same site, automatically keeps related messages together, allows
anyone to mute threads that aren't interesting to that person, and
requires literally _zero_ work to administer. (In fairness, one does
need a Usenet client, though some email programs do a not-awful job of
as Usenet clients.) But Google set out to kill it 15 or 20 years ago,
and has nearly completely done so.

--
Stan Brown
Tehachapi, CA, USA