[GNC] email seems so crude 30 years after MULTICS forums.

Stan Brown the_stan_brown at fastmail.fm
Fri Oct 8 03:08:02 EDT 2021

On 2021-10-07 16:39, Jack Frillman via gnucash-user wrote:

>> Of course there's Usenet, which doesn't require everyone to connect to
>
> Usenet is still active?
> I though it died years ago.

No, Google did its best to destroy it in favor of Google Groups. most
formerly active newsgroups are moribund, but some are still quite
active: misc.taxes.moderated, for instance.

Most ISPs gradually cut back their Usenet support and eventually
terminated it -- without lowering their price for the loss of amenity,
as another poster noted. There are a number of independent free or
fee-based Usenet servers. I use news.individual.net at 10 euros a year;
it carries every text-based newsgroup, if I am not mistaken.

New groups still appear occasionally, for instance Thunderbird and
Firefox peer support groups after Mozilla decommissioned its own captive
newsgroups. Anyone could start a GnuCash group, but I wouldn't do it
without some level of consensus in the mailing list.)

--
Stan Brown
Tehachapi, CA, USA