[GNC] Import CSV account names matching problems

Stephan Schiffels stephan_schiffels at mac.com
Sun Oct 10 01:36:34 EDT 2021

Dear all,

I have a CSV with thousands of transactions from my checking account that I’ve generated from another software. I have prepared and curated it such that in principle it contains all information needed for Gnucash to import the transactions with the correct expense and income accounts. In particular, I have created a column with the exact full expense and income account names used in Gnucash.

Here is a fake bit of the transactions file:

Date,Description,Account,Withdrawal,Deposit
2021-01-01,blabla,Expense:Groceries,50.00,0.00
2021-01-02,blabla,Income:Salary,0.00,3000.00
2021-01-03,blabla,Expense:Car:Gasoline,40.00,0.00

And so on. So the third column actually contains the exact and full account name in Gnucash.

When I import that file with the Import CSV wizard, and select the third column to the Account, then gnucash wants me to match all these account names with its own account names , despite the fact that I’ve already chosen the exact account names. Why is that? Is there no way I can prepare a CSV file in a way that gnucash understands exactly from where (or to where) it needs to book a transaction? I mean, I really appreciate the fact that it can infer the account reasonably well, and that it memories previous import actions. But basically what I want is much simpler: I don’t want inference or any guessing, I just want to import an exact sequence of transactions where I specify the full account names in the CSV file.

Thanks,
Stephan