[GNC] Can I reverse the "deposit" and "withdrawal" columns for checkbook entry?

Tom Browder tom.browder at gmail.com
Sat Oct 16 15:42:26 EDT 2021

On Sat, Oct 16, 2021 at 13:54 John Morris <johnjeff at editide.us> wrote:

> All these arguments hold very little water in the real world.

Thanks, John.  (And also thanks to John Ralls and Stan).

I definitely am not complaining about Gnucash, I am grateful for it and the
wonderful developers. I am also aware of the debit/credit convention. I
just looked in detail about the nice changes in the version 4 series and
wondered if that choice might be available now.

The reason I still use the paper register is multifold:

1. My wife does not use a computer on a routine basis and we share the
checking account,

2. I keep my Gnucash on Windows but do most of my computing on Linux, and

3. Much of our activity is auto-debit and auto-deposit and not always on a
known date.

So, my daily routine is to log in to our checking every morning on my Linux
box and update the paper register from there. When I get around to it I
update the Gnucash data (which is under git version control) on the Windows
box. And, when I get my monthly bank statement, I reconcile both the
register and Gnucash.

All this stems from my experience with my first checking account at 17 when
I found the bank actually made an error (in 1961, way before PCs)—the man
at the bank was quite surprised!

No more rambling, I am happy with Gnucash, and I may try scripting some of
my work flow now that it seems user friendly.

Best regards,

-Tom