[GNC] Imbalance on Fixed Income Transaction

Bruce TwinSteel at mail.com
Thu Oct 21 17:44:00 EDT 2021

Just setting up GnuCash 3.8b+(2019-12-29) for the first time
on an HP EliteDesk 800 G1 running LinuxMint v20.02 Cinnamon.
And yes, I've had Bookkeeping-101 in College, 40+ yrs ago.
And it was processed by an IBM 360 Mainframe.

What I'm not understanding is the basics behind the "Imbalance" result.
I have set up all the top level accounts, and then added FI1 and FI2 (Fixed Income 1&2) as subs below the 'Income' top level account.

My two FI's come in at different times, one on the first of each month, the other on the Second Wednesday, which I will eventually want to set up recurring automatic transactions for those two sources (which I basically already have figured out).

After opening the register (ledger) for FI1 and entering a transaction for that allotment, lets say $1000.00 and saving it, then opening the transaction register for account FI2, and doing the same, for the same amount and saving that...   The main top level account page shows a total income of $2000.00, which is correct and I understand, but directly above that is the "Imbalance-USD" line, and if each transaction is once again opened each shows an 'Imbalance' for the Transfer field in the amount of the transaction.

I have reconciled both of these transactions basically meaning that I have seen proof that the transaction occurred by statement or by funds-in-hand and ticked the "R" box in the respective line, which changed to a "c", and is now a "y".  But the 'Imbalance' notice remains and the amount does not change.

Once the transactions are reconciled, should not the imbalance go away ?

I realize the answer to this is likely a simple one,
but it is alluding me at the moment, input appreciated.

And lastly...  Is it advisable to update to v4.8 under Mint ?
I notice that the doc page says it should be available through the 'Software Center' on Ubuntu, but I just installed THIS version (3.8) from the Mint 'Software Manager', and I'm limited to Cellular downloads at the moment, so I'd rather not do the 800+MB FlatHub (which is v4.8).

Bruce
(just another old retired Vet trying to keep his funds straight)