[GNC] how to link an expense (a tax) to a invoice being issued

davidcousens49 at gmail.com davidcousens49 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 16:49:04 EDT 2021

Hi Mattia,

I think you summay has captured the essentials. Whether you use a Liability or
an Asset Acciunt to record the value of the stamps will not matter in practice
but an asset account more correctly reflects the actual situation.

My description is appropriate when your business is using an "accrual" counting
methodology. This primarily relates to the timing of the recording of income and
expenses. Some jurisdictions allow a "cash" accounting basis usually unde a
specific turnover or income threshold where events are recorded at the time the
money actuallyexchanges hands.

If you are passing the tax through to the customer, it is the customer who is
actually paying the tax. You are in effect acting as an unpaid agent for the tax
office. You are receiving back from the customer the amount you paid for the tax
stamps so it is revenue and expense neutral. This is the primary reason it is
not an expense for you.

David Cousens