[GNC] link bank statement to all reconciled transactions?

davidcousens49 at gmail.com davidcousens49 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 23 18:53:00 EDT 2021

Mattia

A reconciliation deals with all the splits to a specifc account for a specified
date range from any transactions to any other account. There is not a single
entity transaction or split to associate a document with. At present AFAIK there
is no way of associating the external statement document to a reconciliation
such that you could open the statement from that association from within
GnuCash.

If this were to be done it would have to be a link in the account data structure
and either a list of URIs to the documents, not just a single URI, or perhaps a
URI to a directory in which the individual account statements are stored which
would open a OS file open dialog. I store all my statements  (and OFX downloads
 in their own directory) coded with their date range for a given account in a
single directory. I rarely find myself having to go back to past reconciliations
or OFX downloads, so personally this would not be a high priority for me. I
would use it if available of course.

The GnuCash data structures have a key-value pair feature that could allow
attachemnt of a URI for reconciliation data to the account data structure fairly
easily, however it is the coding to make this useful which takes the time.

If you think that this is a useful  addition you can raise a bug in the form of
an enhancement request. It would then require one of the develpment team to take
it up and implement it. Unless there is a high demand for the feature and
availability of a developer with the requisite skills and understanding of the
GnuCash code in that area, then it may take some time to reach the top of one of
the developer's priorities.

David cousens