[GNC] Trial Balance Issue with Fund Merger

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Wed Sep 1 15:16:26 EDT 2021

> On Sep 1, 2021, at 11:15 AM, Lisa Rowell <lisa.gives.in at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> If you're not too compulsive and since this is presumably ancient history in a personal book one simple way to deal with it would be to pretend that you bought the FUSEX in the first place and ignore the FSMKX, but that might be a little painful if you have a bunch of reinvested FSMKX dividend transactions that you'd also need to change.
>>>
>>> I've handled similar situations in the past by doing a simple transfer transaction between the two accounts, as in CR FSMKX 513 and DR FUSEX 1000. As long as there's no currency component to the transaction it shouldn't create a trading imbalance in the book currency.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> John Ralls
>>
>> That solution was what worked for me for share transfers between brokerages, where the commodity was the same, but when I changed commodities it somehow shows up as a mismatch in the Trial Balance. I don't have a share price for the shares in either split so, in theory it shouldn't involve the book currency at all. I don't get it at all.
>>
>> I'm sure it's this transaction since the balances match on the previous day and the only other transaction on this date is a paycheck deposit in the book currency that's no where near the amount of the imbalance. The transaction is in the image attached, that's what you're advocating, right?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Lisa R.
>>
> Additional information:
>
> Removing the cross commodity sell/buy transaction does remove the Trial Balance discrepancy. Additionally I added up all of the purchase prices of shares of the fund being merged away and that amount does equal to the credit / debit difference in the report.

It is, but that doesn't quite work. Here's a sample that does:
If you don't price the share transfer to the currency (USD in both examples) the trial balance logic assumes 0 and calculates a loss. To avoid that enter the book value of the shares you're transferring as a sell (credit) amount in the source split and a buy (debit) amount in the destination split: