[GNC] Change configuration location.

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Sat Sep 11 12:48:13 EDT 2021

Op zaterdag 11 september 2021 16:19:17 CEST schreef Paul Medeiros:
> Hello,
>
> I can't make gnucash read its configuration from ~/.config/gnucash.
> Instead it reads and writes its configuration to and from
> ~/.local/share/gnucash where the data files are stored.

I hope you didn't actually use that to save your gnucash data files as that is
*not* where data (gnucash or any other) files should be stored. It's a
directory gnucash uses to manage some internal state and contains files you
normally don't have to edit yourself.

> The environment
> variable USER_CONFIG_HOME is currently set to ~/.config.

The environment variable associated with this directory is USER_DATA_HOME. But
don't change it to ~/.config. It's probably not what you want.

However for a brief range of gnucash versions gnucash made no distinction
between USER_DATA_HOME and USER_CONFIG_HOME. I don't know these off-hand. If
you happen to run one of those versions, you should consider upgrading to a
more recent one that understands USER_CONFIG_HOME as well.

> I have tried
> setting other environment variables as specified in
> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Configuration_Locations but none have
> worked.  I have also tried to find a gui configuration setting in
> Edit/Preferences but failed. When I open Saved report configurations the
> list is empty when I have all the configuration folders and files stored in
> ~/.config/gnucash.

Your save-reports file is supposed to be in GNC_DATA_HOME, not in
GNC_CONFIG_HOME so it's normal gnucash won't find it if you move it around.

> If I move them to ~/.local/share/gnucash the saved
> report configurations appear in the list.  The contents of
> ~/.config/gnucash are currently: accelerator-map  books  checks
>  expressions-2.0  saved-reports-2.8  saved-reports-2.8-backup
>  stylesheets-2.0  translog.  Any ideas on how to fix this?

What are you trying to fix exactly ?
.config/gnucash and .local/share/gnucash are two directories with different
purposes (at least on linux). The former is for config files that gnucash
never writes to directly, but only reads. The latter for metadata maintained
by gnucash itself. Why do you want to move these files to another location ?

Regards,

Geert