[GNC] Capital gain with Return of Capital

Michael or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Mon Sep 20 09:51:48 EDT 2021

On 9/20/2021 12:01 AM, Fred Tydeman wrote:
> I have entered a buy of an ETF.
> The ETF has done several annual Return of Capitals (which I entered).
> I have entered a sell of all of the ETF.
> I used the Actions: View Lots: Scrub Account to create the Capital gain.
> The Capital gain calculated is wrong in that the Return of Capitals were
> ignored.
>
> If I did something wrong, what should I do?

Are you saying that these returns of capital were included in your
capital gains? (incorrect). In that case, I rather suspect that you did
not enter the transactions that were "return of capital" correctly (did
not credit the correct account). Please describe what you entered for
these return of capital transactions. Presumably the debit side of the
transactions was "cash" (some bank account). But what was the credit side?

Are you saying that the returns of capital were not included in capital
gains? That would be correct (at least they would in my jurisdiction)

Let's first settle the accounting questions before asking n terms of
what gnucash is doing.

Michael D Novack