[GNC] Account setup

Rogier F. van Vlissingen vliscony at gmail.com
Tue Sep 28 13:16:51 EDT 2021

Thanks to everyone for helping out.

What worked for me in the end was

   1. to set up the COA first, without attempting any opening balances, and
   then
   2. to create a single transaction to set up the opening balances on
   1/1/2020.

As it was, I had an ending trial balance on 12/31/2020, but there were a
few mistakes floating around, so in my setup, I made those corrections, and
settled it against retained earnings, by making that the final line item in
my opening transaction.

   - One thing I was not able to figure out. If I do set up this way, and I
   made a mistake in my initial g/l transaction is there a way to edit that
   transaction, or am I doomed to simply start over and do it the right way?
   - And since I made a false starts, I now have a couple of sets of books
   that I want to get rid of, but I wasn't sure how to do it, other than just
   deleting the file in the file system.

I actually used gnucash once years ago, and I am happy we have seen
significant development since then.

The reason I switched back to it this time is because this was the 2nd time
I had bad experience with QB, and in actual fact it was overkill for a
small business anyway. I was forced into it because of a bookkeeper who
seemed to be comfortable with QB only. In the end, the problem was she
"knew" QB, but not accounting. When I had my problem with them in 2019,
there were two features which my bookkeeper had used inadvertently neither
one of which worked as advertised. One was a loan amortization which seemed
to expense the principal repayments instead of the interest. In the end I
got so fed up with them that I dumped the whole thing, and decided to go
back to Gnucash for this venture, and it just took me this long, because my
taxes are now due, and I have not had a lot of activity during the
pandemic. But it's done now, and thanks to everyone for the help.