[GNC] Debit and Credit columns wrong way round on one transaction report but not the other

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Fri Apr 8 13:16:35 EDT 2022

I suspect you have way more accounts than just 2! (seriously, read the
manual)

What do you mean by "wrong way 'round"?

Debit is always the left-hand column, Credit is always the right-hand
column. They never swap.

Your *data* might be swapped though. (you've entered debits instead of
credits, or the reverse)

Select the Building Fund account in the Accounts tab, and click the Edit
button. What is the 'Account Type'? (bottom left pane)

It *should* most likely be 'Asset' and it's parent should be in the
Assets part of the account tree.

If these are actual real-life accounts at a bank or other institution,
then they *can* be of type 'Bank' but that is not necessary. They should
still be in the Assets part of the the tree however.

And on that note, your debits and credits are likely not swapped.
(unless you entered the transactions backwards)

When a financial institution says you have a 'credit' that is in *their*
books. Your account with them is in the Liabilities part of their
account tree.

But for you, that is a debit, because it is your asset.

(Assets & Liabilities are reversed accounts from each other)

A debit increases:

Assets, Expenses

A credit increases:

Liabilities, Income, Equity

In ALL cases, this is from the perspective of whose book you're discussing.

Your asset held by someone else is their liability, so in your books, an
increase of a 'bank account' is a debit, but in their books it is a
credit. (and vice versa if there is a decrease)

Regards,
Adrien