[GNC] Import overwrites transaction description

Michael or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Sat Apr 9 10:26:20 EDT 2022

On 4/6/2022 3:53 PM, Ed Reeder wrote:
> Example:
> I have previously entered a check into gnucash:
> Num=205, Description=Smith Plumbing, Withdrawal=100.00
>
> My bank's OFX  transaction has:
> <STMTTRN>
>     <TRNTYPE>CHECK
>     <TRNAMT>-100.00
>     <CHECKNUM>205
>     <NAME>CHECK # 205
> </STMTTRN>
>
> When I import the OFX file and and match its transaction with the previously entered check transaction the "Smith Plumbing" gets overwritten with "CHECK # 205".
>
> Is there a way to preserve the "Smith Plumbing" and not have it overwritten?  (It is a pain to go back and reenter the payee's name on each check).

This might be an opportunity to see how an analyst might approach the
problem. I do n not import OFX transactions, know nothing about them.
That being the case I would ..

a) FIRST make a copy of you books before the import. You might give that
a name of test. You are going to work with THAT file so as not to mess
up your "production" data. Each time before the trials I am going to
suggest you make a reserve cop of that test file. I suspect it is going
to take multiple trials.

b) Same with the OFX file you are trying to import. You are going to be
editing it perhaps multiple times so you want a clean original each time.

c) You can see that is happening. The "<name>CHECK # XXX" is overwriting
what you had in the name field. For your first trial, see what happens
if you make than <NAME>" (in other words, NOTHING (null) there. My guess
is that this is;t going to do what you want , but it might. For you next
trial, eliminate that entire line form the transaction. In other words,
nothing between <CHECKNUM>xxx and </STMTTRN>

Of course ACTUALLY I'd not do it it trail and error but would look up
the definition of the bank's OFX transaction to find out if <name> is
optional or not.

Michael D Novack